Curator Lucy Cotter's concept for a solo-exhibition by Wendelien van Oldenborgh has been shortlisted (together with 4 more proposals) for the Dutch entry to the 57th edition of the Venice Biennale
The Mondriaan Fund’s request for proposals for the Dutch entry to the 57th edition of the Venice Biennale has received a wide response. 68 proposals were submitted by curators and curator collectives. Along with freelancers, curators and directors of various museums, presentation spaces and art initiatives also entered proposals. Proposals for solo versus group presentations are evenly balanced.
The proposals have been evaluated by an internationally oriented jury of experts, who have submitted a selected shortlist. The selected curators will be assigned a budget with which to further elaborate their plan, and will present their plans to the jury at the end of May.
– plan for a show by Wendelien van Oldenborgh by curator Lucy Cotter;
– plan for a show by Melanie Bonajo by curators Emma Panza and Maaike Gouwenberg;
– plan for a show by Erik van Lieshout by curator Francesco Stocchi;
– plan for a show by Renzo Martens with a curatorial advisory team consisting of Charles Esche, Charles Tumba and Els Roelandt;
– plan for a show by Jennifer Tee by curators Hilde de Bruijn and Nina Folkersma.
The jury consists of Lorenzo Benedetti (curator, e.g. Nederlands Paviljoen in Venice 2013), Nathalie Hartjes (director showroom MAMA), Aernout Mik (artist, participant in e.g. exhibitions in the Nederlands Paviljoen in 1997 and 2007) and Mirjam Westen (curator of contemporary art Museum Arnhem). Birgit Donker is chairperson, with no right of vote.