Gerard Byrne (b.1969) is a visual artist working primarily with photographic and video based media. His work has been shown internationally at international biennials and museums including the 3rd Tate Triennial (2006) the 8th Istanbul Biennial (2003), the Whitney Museum of American Art (2003), New York, the Van Abbemuseum, Eindhoven (2005) and MUMOK, Vienna (2006). Major solo exhibitions of his work have been presented at the Frankfurter Kunstverein (2003), and the Douglas Hyde Gallery, Dublin (2002) and in 2007 major solo shows of his work will be presented in the Kunstverein Dusseldorf and at the Irish Pavilion of the 52nd Venice Biennale.
- 2009Gerard Byrne, Irish Museum of Modern Art, Dublin, Ireland.
- 2008 Chisenhale Gallery. London, U.K.
- 2007Gerard Byrne, Kunstverein, Dusseldorf, Germany. Gerard Byrne, Green On Red Gallery, Dublin, Ireland. Lisson Gallery, London, England. Irish Pavilion, 52nd Venice Biennale, Venice, Italy. Dundee Contemporary Arts, Dundee, U.K. travelling to Charles Scott Gallery, Vancouver, Canada. Model Arts : Niland Gallery, Sligo, Ireland.
- 2005Gerard Byrne, Void Gallery, Derry, Northern Ireland?Beaumont Public Project Space, Luxembourg.
- 2004Homme à Femmes, Green On Red Gallery, Dublin, Ireland.*Homme à Femmes, Present Future,[Green On Red Gallery], Artissima, Turin*In Repertory, Project Arts Centre, Dublin, Ireland.*A country road. A tree. Evening., Bak, Utrecht, Netherlands.
- 2003Gerard Byrne, Nicola Fornello, Prato, Italy.*Gerard Byrne, Kunstverein, Frankfurt, Germany.
- 2002Herald or Press,Douglas Hyde Gallery, Dublin, Ireland.*Gerard Byrne, Limerick City Gallery, Limerick, Ireland.?In the news, Green On Red Gallery, Dublin, Ireland.
- 2001A crime dramatically reconstructed again, Meeting House Square, Dublin, Ireland.?Theater, Galeri T-19, Vienna, Austria.
- 1999Theatre-Bunker-Archive-Reception Area, Green On Red Gallery, Dublin, Ireland.
- 1996 Temple Bar Music Centre, Dublin, Ireland.
- 1994 City Arts Centre, Dublin, Ireland.
- 1993 Galeria Monumental, Lisbon, Portugal.
- 1992 Musee du Pilori, Niort, France.
- 2007Warhol’s Lesson, DOX, Prague, Czech Republic.
- 2006The Studio, Dublin City Gallery The Hugh Lane, Dublin. Wieder und Wider: Performance Appropriated, “Nominally an installation, a performance, or an event, 2006”, MUMOK, Vienna, Austria. Don Quijote, Witte de With Centre for Contemporary Art, Rotterdam, The Netherlands. Samuel Beckett: A Passion for Painting, National Gallery of Ireland, Dublin Ireland. Momentum, Nordic Biennial for Contemporary Art, Moss, Norway. Bühne des Lebens, Rhetorik des Gefüls, Lenbachhaus, Munich, Germany. Tate Triennial2006: New British Art, Tate Modern, London, U.K. A Short History of Performance, Part IV, Whitechapel Gallery, London, U.K.?VOLTAshow02, Basel Switzerland. (with Green On Red Gallery) Failure, curated by Mike Fitzpatrick, Kilkenny Arts Festival, Kilkenny.
- 2005If I can’t dance I don’t want to be part of your revolution, Den Bosch, The Netherlands. Group show, VanAbbemuseum, Eindhoven, Belgium. Information/Transformation, Extra City Centre for Contemporary Art, Antwerp, Belgium. I really should…,(curated by Stefan Kalmar), Lisson Gallery, London, U.K. Individual fields, Lismore Castle Arts, Lismore Castle, Waterford, Ireland. Gotenburg International Biennale for Contemporary Art, Gotenburg, Sweden. Kilkenny Arts Festival, Kilkenny, Ireland. Icestorm, München Kunstverein, Munich, Germany. Glasgow International, Glasgow, U.K. Stichting Rotterdam, Rotterdam, Netherlands. New Territories, Arco, Madrid, Spain.
- 2004Dedicated to a proposition,Extra City Centre for Contemporary Art, Antwerp. Tírna N-Og, Irish Museum of Modern Art, Dublin, Ireland. ArtCologne, Green on Red Gallery, Cologne, Germany. Present Future, Artissima, Green on Red Gallery, Turin, Italy. Fiction: Truth in Photography and Painting, Timothy Taylor Gallery, London, U.K .[Curated by Faye Fleming] The Whitstable Biennial. Whitstable, U.K.*In the time of shakingIrish Artists for Amnesty International, Irish Museum of Modern Art, Dublin, Ireland. This much is certain, Royal College of Art, London, U.K. Tonight, Studio Voltaire, London, U.K. New Party, The Breeder Projects, Athens, Greece. Invited EV + A, Limerick, Ireland.
- 2003 Art Institutions: The Ethics and Aesthetics of Working with Contemporary Art , Museum of Contemporary Art Kiasma, Helsinki, Finland. Istanbul Biennal, Istanbul, Turkey. The American Effect, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, U.S. Stop & Go, FRAC, Pas-de-Calais, France. Greyscale/ CMYK, Royal Hibernian Academy, Dublin, Ireland. Permaculture, Project Arts Centre, Dublin, Ireland.
PUBLIC ART PROJECTS
- 2007Glasshouse Archive: Modernity’s North Dublin Legacy, Mobile Library, Fingal CountyCouncil, Dublin, Ireland.
A country road. A tree. Evening., Bak, Utrecht, The Netherlands, 2004. George Baker, Gerard Byrne Books, Magazines and Newspapers, Frankfurter Kunstverein/ Lukas & Sternberg, New York 2003. This Much is Certain, Royal College of Art, London MA Curating show, 2004. Poetic justice, The 8th Istanbul Niennial, Ed. Dan Cameron, 2003 The American Effect Ed. Lawrence Rinder, Whitney Museum of American Art, 2003?Interview with Joachim Koester, Newspaper Jan Mot, Brussels, Jan-Feb 2003?Op- Ed, Douglas Hyde Gallery and Limerick City Gallery, Dublin, 2002. Greyscale/ CMYK, NIFCA, Helsinki, 2002. October 100, MIT Press, New York, 2002. How things turn out (Cat.) I.M.M.A.,Dublin 2002. Annie Fletcher (Editor) Manifesta 4, Frankfurt, 2002. Transporter (Cat.) Editors De Chiara and Urabe. AARA Bangkok Thailand 2000. Utopias (Cat.) Douglas Hyde Gallery, Dublin. 1999 Performance Festival (Cat.) Pub.Kunsthallen Brandts Klaedefabrik, Odense, Denmark 1999. EV+A '99 (Cat.) Ed. Jeanne Greenberg Rohytan. Pub. Gandon Editions 1999. Performance Festival (Cat.) Pub.Kunsthallen Brandts Klaedefabrik, Odense, Denmark 1997. Collisions (Cat.) Ed. Corinne Diserans. Pub. Arteleku, San Sebastian Spain, 1995. Lux Europae (Cat.)Ed. Isabelle Vasier. Pub. Edinburgh 1992. Windfall (Cat.) Pub. Glasgow 1991
AWARDS AND RESIDENCIES
- 2006 Paul Hamlyn Foundation Award
- 2005-2006 Visual Arts Residency, Banff Centre, Canada.
- 2002 Nordic Institute for Contemporary Art, Artists Residency, Helsinki.
- 2001 Irish Museum of Modern Art, Artists’ s Work Programme
- Arts Council Bursary, Ireland.
- 1998 Victor Treacy Award, Kilkenny
- P.S.1 Studio Program, New York.
- 1994-1998 Fulbright Scholarship.
- 1994 Irish Arts Council Bursary.
- 1992 Pepinières Residency, Niort, France.
- 1999 Whitney Independent Study Program, New York.
- 1997-1998 P.S.1 Contemporary Art Centre Program, New York.
- 1996 M.F.A. New School for Social Research, New York.
- 1995 Graduate Research Summer School, Arteleku, San Sebastien, Spain.
- 1991 B.A. National College of Art & Design, Dublin.