Important information for NON-EU/EER passport holders accepted into our program, who wish to move to the Netherlands and to register and live here as an international student.

ArtEZ provides an accelerated procedure to apply for visa. 

Non-EU/EER students accepted to our program should contact our senior co-ordinator study trajectory, Rik Fernhout who will introduce you to the specific regulations of ArtEZ, the University we are affiliated with. 

A residence permit is mandatory for nationals from non-EU/ non-EEA countries that have been accepted at DAI as master students and will reside in the Netherlands for the duration of their studies.

Beside this permit, students from non-EEA countries need a long-stay visa (mvv) as well. This visa allows you to travel into the Netherlands, where you can collect your residence permit.

Once you have been fully accepted, the ArtEZ Student Affairs Department will apply for your visa and permit as soon as they have received all necessary documents and your financial guarantee (including the tuition fee and the income requirement as set by the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND)). More information on the income requirement below. It is not possible to apply for this visa yourself.

Please check the website to find out if you need a long-stay visa to travel to the Netherlands. 

Below we describe the visa and permit procedure.

Start of the procedure ( only after you have succesfully passed the DAI's Admissions Trajectory)

All non-EU students, who have been accepted at DAI/ ArtEZ, in need of a residence permit have to pay their financial guarantee and send the following documents to ArtEZ Student Affairs:

Visa procedures take time. The overall procedure (from sending your documents to picking up the residence permit after arrival in the Netherlands) can take up to three months. We urge you to start preparing your documents as soon as you are accepted. Please send us all your documentsno later than 31 May.

Completion of the procedure

For students needing an entry visa AND residence permit: once you have handed in all the documents, we will let you know that you can make an appointment with the embassy/consulate in your home country to have your fingerprints and photo taken. Bring these documents to your appointment:

  • passport (valid for at least 6 months)
  • MVV form (download from the website of the Dutch embassy / consulate)
  • passport photo (which meets the requirements of the Dutch immigration law. Contact the Dutch embassy / consulate for more information)

Your embassy / consulate will let you know when your entry visa is ready to be collected. This roughly takes another two weeks.

Students that only need a residence permit
You are free to travel to the Netherlands as long as you do not exceed the 90-day validity of your tourist visa. After arriving in the Netherlands you must go to an IND Desk as soon as possible to have a passport photo made, your fingerprints taken and to record your signature.

Visa fees

The visa fee for 2022-2023 is € 207,-. This amount must be transferred directly to ArtEZ. Payment procedure and banking details are mentioned in this brochure.

IND Income requirement

In order to issue a visa the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) requires proof that non-EEA students can support themselves financially in the Netherlands. To this end students must proof a minimum of € 932,87 per month or € 11,194,- for the academic year 2022-2023. This income requirement is NOT a fee, so ArtEZ will transfer the money back to your newly created Dutch bank account once the visa procedure is completed.

Annual check for degree students

A residence permit for study is valid for the duration of your study programme. This means that you will not have to renew your residence permit on a yearly basis. In return ArtEZ has to check the following:

  • Study progress: ArtEZ is obliged to inform the Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Service about your study progress every year. You will have to obtain at least 30 ECTS every academic year before August 31. If you obtained less than 30 ECTS (study credits) this will be reported to the IND and your residence permit will be cancelled.
  •  Only in case of exceptional circumstances will ArtEZ not have to report to the IND. You will have to inform the ArtEZ student counsellor about these circumstances as soon as possible. Exceptional circumstances are for example illness, pregnancy, family matters etc. Any exceptional circumstance can be taken into consideration only once.
  • Income requirement: after the first year students are no longer obliged to literally prove their financial means. Every year however they have to sign a statement saying that they continue to dispose of sufficient funds to support themselves financially in the Netherlands.

Read more about visas and permits at Study in Holland.

Non- EU/EER students wishing to enroll at the DAI and to attend the monthly DAI-weeks while traveling from their residency OUTSIDE of the Netherlands are advised to carefully read more HERE.